Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel,use it in more drivers.

From: david
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 01:38:15 EST

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, David Woodhouse wrote:

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 07:06 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
This is just a matter of point of view. From my POV, having to feed
several unrelated files into a system to be able to get it to support
any device is moving backwards, compared to the currently clean
all-in-1 driver model.

So you disapprove of having to load mac80211.ko before your wireless NIC
driver? Or sungem_phy.ko before sungem.ko? Or libphy.ko before various
other drivers?

Or having to install /sbin/modprobe before you can load modules?

I actually have systems that don't have modprobe (Tivo series 1 boxes, they have the insmod/rmmod binary , but not modproble)