Re: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied fromin-kernel, use it in more drivers.

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 01:20:34 EST

> Thanks for proving something I tried to establish for weeks
> but which Alan Cox, David W., and others vehemently denied.
>
> They states that it was being done on a technical basis rather
> than being predominantly a legal one.

Despite the risk of going against the current here, I do like David
patches for one major reason: I love my kernels with everything
built-in, that's how I can netboot them etc... without having to bother
with installing modules.

David's patches allow me to do that with drivers that would have
-required- disk based firmwares beforehand. It allows things like
rooting off a block device that needs a firmware without an initrd,
etc....

As long as the firmwares are shipped with the kernel tree, I'm happpy,
and I don't care much about building the firmware inside the .ko's. Now,
if somebody care, I suppose it's a feature that can be added fairly
transparently.

Cheers,
Ben.