Re: linux-next: kbuild tree build failure

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Sat Jul 12 2008 - 19:21:41 EST

Hi,

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Milton Miller wrote:

> (1) #define PAGE_OFFSET (ASM_CONST(CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET) << 32)
>
> It creates unreadable code, where two defines with almost the same name (the
> only difference being
> the CONFIG_ prefix, which is often ignored when scanning) contains radically
> different values.
>
> (2) #define PAGE_OFFSET ASM_CONST(CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSET)

Giving it different names is not really difficult. Any objections to
CONFIG_PAGE_HIGH_OFFSET?

> On a seperate note,
>
> is harder to read. The value is a list of 4 1 byte values, but you have
> hidden the first nibble making parsing the rest of the value hard.

Sam mentioned that already, but that's a situation where the warning can
be relaxed.

> If you are worried about users tring to set values that are too high,
> then make the types be hex8, hex16, hex32, and hex64.

It's not this, I value consistency as much as you and the values are
sometimes used as integers, so a working range is needed. Using simple
integers keeps things much simpler and as the ASM_CONST example shows any
bigger values are not necessarily directly usable anyway.

bye, Roman