Re: linux-next boot failure on 64-bit Sony Vaio (maybe x86 related)

From: Carlos R. Mafra
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 14:26:15 EST

> I could not bisect this problem yet because the first linux-next
> which I tried to use was next-20080618 which had a similar boot
> failure, that time at kernel/smp.c:215
> http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/failed_boot0.jpg

Ok, I spent some time compiling and found out that

-next-20080424 is good
-next-20080428 is bad

and all kernels after 20080428 that I've tried failed to boot.

The problem with 20080428 is a NULL pointer dereference:
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/img_2436.jpg

and this is apparently the same error as current 20080702 when
booted with the 'nosmp' parameter:
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/img_2425.jpg

The sad thing is that these are the last messages on the screen,
but there were others before them (I think that's why it says
it is tainted).