linux-next boot failure on 64-bit Sony Vaio (maybe x86 related)

From: Carlos R. Mafra
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 10:25:39 EST

Hi everybody,

The linux-next tree for 1st of July fails to boot on my Vaio laptop, it
stops booting with the keyboard leds blinking.

I can see that there are a few backtraces printed to the screen
before the last one, but I could only take a picture of the final
state:
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/failed_boot.jpg

This last warning is on arch/x86/kernel/smp.c:118 and the kernel
reports it is tainted, but I am sure it is a vanilla linux-next with
no proprietary stuff.

I could not bisect this problem yet because the first linux-next
which I tried to use was next-20080618 which had a similar boot
failure, that time at kernel/smp.c:215
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/failed_boot0.jpg

(I did not report it back then because I am writing my thesis and
the deadline is close...)

I used the same .config as the working 2.6.26-rc8 and I did
nothing fancy with the new config options of -next
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/config-failed.txt

The dmesg of 2.6.26-rc8 is here:
http://www.ift.unesp.br/users/crmafra/dmesg-good.txt

I tried to boot with 'nosmp' but it also failed.

Regards,
Carlos