Re: dsdt buggy acpi

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 07:55:43 EST

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:48:20PM +0300, Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:09:35 +0100
> Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > We've made a huge number of workarounds for buggy DSDT
> > implementations.
>
> Of course, I myself used a custom DSDT for my laptop. But I was saying
> that these workarounds generally do not belong to the kernel realm.

Of course they do. Nothing else is going to fix them up.

> This isn't the regular "Pentium F00F bug" stuff; instead bugs in DSDTs
> consist of compiling issues, non-standard compliant, plainly bad
> code, Windows-only stuff, which can all be unique for every model of a
> laptop for example. While the kernel may be able to get around some of
> that stuff, the kernel won't have any Asus, Acer etc. specific
> workarounds.

Windows doesn't have any Asus/Acer/whatever workarounds either. We just
need to be compatible with the Windows implementation. There's a
minority of cases where that isn't good enough, but almost every DSDT
issue can (and should) be handled by Linux if the machine works under
Windows.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx