Re: dsdt buggy acpi

From: Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu
Date: Wed Jul 02 2008 - 07:49:45 EST

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:09:35 +0100
Matthew Garrett <mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 08:25:55AM +0300, Eduard - Gabriel Munteanu
> wrote:
>
> > Just one note here: DSDTs have nothing to do with the kernel. This
> > is just broken firmware. The most one can do _in-kernel_ is
> > blacklist some functionality or create a workaround, but this only
> > happens for widely used stuff. Broken DSDTs aren't widely used
> > stuff, they are written by the machine's vendor (the laptop's
> > manufacturer for example, but this could be different for desktops)
> > and differ a lot from one machine to another.
>
> We've made a huge number of workarounds for buggy DSDT
> implementations.

Of course, I myself used a custom DSDT for my laptop. But I was saying
that these workarounds generally do not belong to the kernel realm.

This isn't the regular "Pentium F00F bug" stuff; instead bugs in DSDTs
consist of compiling issues, non-standard compliant, plainly bad
code, Windows-only stuff, which can all be unique for every model of a
laptop for example. While the kernel may be able to get around some of
that stuff, the kernel won't have any Asus, Acer etc. specific
workarounds.