Re: configfs: Q: item leak in a failing configfs_attach_group()?

From: Joel Becker
Date: Tue Jun 24 2008 - 17:35:46 EST

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 08:04:56PM +0200, Louis Rilling wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:10:51AM -0700, Joel Becker wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 04:16:49PM +0200, Louis Rilling wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like an opinion on the following scenario:
> > >
> > > process 1: process 2:
> > > configfs_mkdir("A")
> > > attach_group("A")
> > > attach_item("A")
> > > d_instantiate("A")
> > > populate_groups("A")
> > > mutex_lock("A")
> > > attach_group("A/B")
> > > attach_item("A")
> > > d_instantiate("A/B")
> > > mkdir("A/B/C")
> > > do_path_lookup("A/B/C", LOOKUP_PARENT)
> >
> > This has to sleep until
> > configfs_mkdir("A") finishes.
> > It's waiting on A->d_parent's
> > i_mutex, which is held by
> > sys_mkdirat().
>
> Can you be more precise? I don't see where do_path_lookup() locks an inode

It doesn't. It's in lookup_create(), which takes the mutex on the
parent of 'A'. Note that the end of sys_mkdirat() explicitly drops that
mutex - it couldn't do so if it hadn't been taken :-)

Joel

--

"You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot
strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx