Re: Support arch/$ARCH/include in kbuild

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Sun Jun 22 2008 - 18:04:59 EST

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:07:03AM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Linus hinted that he liked to have all arch specific
> header files moved from include/asm-$ARCH to
> arch/$ARCH/include/asm.
>
> The following two patches implement the basic support
> for this.
>
> I have used sparc for my testing and to some degree
> I also used i386.
>
> For sparc I just had to do a simple:
>
> mkdir -p arch/sparc/include/asm
> mv include/asm-sparc/* arch/sparc/include/asm
>
> to build sparc with the new directory layout.
>
> For i386 I had to do a few trivial path fixes in
> arch/x86/Makefile and to fix the include of unistd_32.h
> in one place to fix the build.
>
> I expect a few additional bits to show up when people
> start to move their header files but this should
> be a good starting point.
>

> To support arch/$ARCH/include/ was done in two steps.
>
> First was to teach make headers_* about the new layout.
> And second step was to get the build fixed with the new
> layout.
>
> Patches are on top of kbuild-next.git and follows.

I redid this and ended up with 5 small patches.

Sam Ravnborg (5):
kbuild: prepare headers_* for arch/$ARCH/include
kbuild: include/asm may be a file - fix mrproper for this
kbuild: support arch/$ARCH/include for tags, cscope
kbuild: asm symlink support for arch/$ARCH/include
kbuild: add arch/$ARCH/include to search path

This patchset is tested a more than
the previous one and is now also pushed out
to kbuild-next.git so it will apprear in -next shortly.

There were a few bugs around the symlink handling
and make tags is now also functional.
So I consider this ready for merging.

Any comments are welcome!
Patches will follow as reply to this one, but they
are only sent to kbuild and lkml.

Sam