Re: Recoverable MCA interrupts from NMI handlers? IPMI and RCU?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jun 06 2008 - 20:10:37 EST

Corey Minyard wrote:
If you mean the IPMI driver, it does not tie into any SMI. It theoretically could since there's a bit for that in the watchdog timer, but there's been no demand and I haven't looked at it. I guess it would be better than an NMI.

If it did tie in, it would most likely just panic to get useful information out before the watchdog reset the system.

The main reason I could see wanting to use SMI would be as a debugging tool, since SMI makes the entire state of the system available at a low level; however, trying to interact with the state of the kernel at this priority level seems beyond the pale in terms of complexity.

-hpa