RE: Vpools and v3.0-UPSTREAM LIO

From: Nicholas A. Bellinger
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 15:43:17 EST

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 14:28 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> Jerome Martin wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Ross S. W. Walker
> > <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > How about something like "ipool"?
> >
> > Maybe if I had a better picture of what it is your trying to
> > achieve I can throw some better suggestions out too?
> >

> > Well, basically the idea is to have a cluster of machines
> > driven by heartbeatv2 (pacemaker) implementing "storage" and
> > "vhost" roles for arbitrary nodes. The storage part is based
> > on lvm + drbd + lio-target + open/iSCSI + ext3 (ocfs2
> > planned for v2). The vhost part is based on linux-vservers,
> > with plans to add vmware server in v2 and then maybe
> > xen/openVZ depending on contribs. The term "pool" relates to
> > the fact that the vservers are "pooled" by storage chunks,
> > and the "v" stands for vservers. The effect is "Vserver POOLS".
>
> How about a "stateless" storage pool where each node knows
> nothing about any other node in the storage pool.
>
> You have central servers that then organize each node in
> the pool by available storage, performance of that storage,
> etc.

Having central servers (and having to worry about the redundancy of said
servers) would increase the complexity a great deal I would think.

> The storage is then mapped out based on these
> characteristics, redundancy and striping is handled in
> the mapping, also based on performance characteristics
> and served up to servers that need it.

Hmmm, so what are the advantages what we have working so far..?

> > An other property of that cluster scheme is that it is
> > designed to work at N+M redundancy (N active, M spares per
> > resource). That could be used for devising a name too.
> >
> > I'm currently trying to find some acronym based on the
> > software stack used :
> > - DRBD
> > - iSCSI (LIO-target, no other target being able to fullfill
> > the project requirements, and either open/iSCSI or core iscsi)
> > - virtual servers (to stay implementation-agnostic)
> > - linux-ha / pacemaker (the actual heartbeat part is
> > non-essential, will be replaced by openAIS in v2 I think)
> >
> > So maybe something like funny combinations like "DIVHA,
> > software that sings" or "PAID, free software" or anything
> > along those lines would work :-) To be honest, I liked
> > "vpools", and don't really have a good idea yet.
>
> How about DIVA?
>
> This product can be added on to already existing iSCSI
> infrastructures and provides integrated high-level
> storage management services that would otherwise
> require separate products.

Hmm, not bad. I usually have to go for a walk or two to come up with
good project names.. :-)

--nab