Re: Bug in libata

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Sat May 24 2008 - 15:35:35 EST

Klaus Ethgen wrote:

Dear Jeff, dear Kernel developers,

after several time I decided to update the kernel on my IBM ThinkPad
T43p to the newest one (2.6.25.4). After doing so my system was unable
to boot. I always got the following error:
ata_piix 000:00:1f.2: failed to request/iomap BARs for port 0 (errno=-16)

After doing some regressions tests I got the wrong commit. Git commit
8cdfb29c0cd8018f92214c11c631d8926f4cb032 which is from Jeff Garzik
introduce the bug that makes the system unbootable at all.

As I am not subscribed to the kernel-devel list please hold me in Cc
about this bug.

Regards
Klaus Ethgen

Ps. Thanks to Linus for git-bisect. It costs me one day but without it I
think I had have much longer to find the problematic patch.

This is a configuration problem. You need to pick one driver or the other, not both, as that commit's description indicates.

Jeff