Re: [patch 06/14] hfsplus: remove hfsplus_permission()

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 15:05:47 EST

> > a) it's nontrivial to fix (even understanding the problem is
> > nontrivial, see Documentation/filesystems/directory-locking)
>
> Please provide a concrete example, as long as I only get handwaving I can
> only wave back.

Semi-concrete: link(2) locks the target's parent and the source.
Cross-directory rename(2) locks both parents. If link's target is a
file which has children, this can result in an ABBA deadlock. That's
_before_ the filesystem's ->link() or ->rename() function is called.

> > b) the feature is obviously unused, so the easiest fix is simply to
> > remove it for the time being.
>
> You have a weird definition of "obviously unused", not every user may even
> have noticed it's gone, e.g. there are some rsync versions, which support
> this and these won't complain if they can't open the resource fork.

Dunno. What's the difference between "it wasn't used" and "it didn't
work and nobody noticed"? I think not much :)

Miklos