Re: 2.6.26-rcX: Problem with mem config > 4GB ; fore2000 atm driveroptions

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 14:43:52 EST

On Tue, 20 May 2008, werner wrote:
> I observed the following problems with 2.6.26-rcX-gitY:
>
> Steady-steady I got segmentation faults. On 2.6.25.4 no problems. I compiled plenty times the newer kernels to find out the reason. I thing the problem is the memory configuration as > 4 GB. In my config file, since earlier kernels, i configured >4 GB. When I use config files with that, then occure the problems, with <4 GB not. It seems that the menuconfig of the new kernels accept only until 4 GB.

It's worth now trying 2.6.26-rc3-git2 or later: there was indeed a
problem introduced in 2.6.26-rc2-git<I-haven't-looked-which> which
caused segfaults in various things when CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G.

(See http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/19/446 for what I'm talking about;
but Linus put in Jeremy's proper fixes instead of that brief hack.)

> Another problem with the fore2000 atm configuration. When one affirms the default config of menuconfig, then the compilation crashs because it wouldn't find the path of these drivers. When one explicitely click x , affirming the default path (what would be default anyway) then the compilation works. This seems to be an error of the menuconfig and should be corrected

Sorry, I've not looked into that at all: Cc'ed ATM maintainer.

Hugh