Re: 2.6.26-rc1 regression: ISA DMA broken (bisected)

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 10:36:52 EST

* Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> great, thanks Rene for catching this! Added this line to the patch as
>> well:
>>
>> Tested-by: Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Oh... it was rather significantly in the AM when I posted so I forgot
> to mention in the haste to get this out of the way but it was Pete
> Clements who reported the regression:
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Lost-Sound-from-2.6.24-to-2.6.25----CS4236-ISA-tc17062547.html
>
> He also tested it, so as long as we're name-mention-flattering
> around...
>
> And this a good excuse to ask how you edit changelog after the fact.
> Just reset/reapply and stuff or is there a "better" way? I fairly
> frequently find myself wanting to do just that but it's a bit of a
> mess when there's already commits on top.

generally we prefer append-only repositories for public trees.

But as long as you've not pushed it out to others yet, i.e. it's a
purely local development tree, you can use two methods:

If it's just one commit in some devel branch that you want to put into a
'fixes' branch one you can use git-cherry-pick --edit to shuffle it
over.

For more complex scenarios you can use git-rebase --interactive to
rebase your commits and to edit them. Replace the command "pick" with
"edit" to change/fix the commit message. "squash" can be used to fold
fixes.

Ingo