Re: /proc/kallsyms broken in 2.6.26-rc1-git6

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Fri May 09 2008 - 18:34:20 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
ffffffff80337043 u idr_pre_get [i2c_core]
ffffc2000007573e ? DW.sched.h.920090ff.56 [i2c_core]
Are you compiling with CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL?

Yep.

CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL=y
# CONFIG_KALLSYMS_EXTRA_PASS is not set

If you are, kallsyms will store all the output of "nm -n vmlinux" no
matter what section the symbol belongs to...

Yes and? Surely that's not correct?

That's not for me to judge, but I believe it has always been like that.

I just wanted to understand if you noticed a change in behavior (which is probably a bug) or if it has always been like that but you just noticed how ugly it is.

Maybe you also have some debug or markers configuration or something that is generating extra symbols to a special section that is just making the problem look worse now.

Anyway, I can change the way kallsyms works, but that has to be done with some care because there are some userspace tools that read /proc/kallsyms and we don't want to break those. A proper testing period through -mm should take care of that, though.

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"All generalizations are false."