Re: [patch, -git] input: CONFIG_INPUT_APANEL build fix

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 16:20:42 EST

* Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:54:16PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > x86.git testing found this build failure in upstream -git:
> >
> > drivers/built-in.o: In function `apanel_detach_client':
> > apanel.c:(.text+0x3027af): undefined reference to `led_classdev_unregister'
> > drivers/built-in.o: In function `apanel_probe':
> > apanel.c:(.text+0x302ac9): undefined reference to `led_classdev_register'
> >
> > with this config:
> >
> > http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/config-Wed_Apr_30_20_22_20_CEST_2008.bad
> >
> > this driver has a missing CONFIG_NEW_LEDS dependency.
>
> Thank you Ingo. Isn't this a Kconfig issue though? I know that Roman
> is not willing to fix SELECT to evaluate the whole dependency chain,
> but in this case it is "depens on" that does not evaluate properly...

yes and no. It can be fixed in Kconfig but i'm not going to flame yet
another person about long-existing unfixed infrastructure bugs ;-)

The current (many years old) rule is to fix things up as much as we can
and never expose build errors, because 1) randconfig testing is way too
useful and because 2) users can stumble across that .config combination
as well and get rightfully grumpy at us about breaking their build. Most
of the thousands of drivers are fine - it's those with more complex
Kconfig dependencies that have trouble.

Ingo