Re: [LTP/VFS] fcntl SETLEASE fails on ramfs/tmpfs

From: Mike Frysinger
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 18:02:07 EST

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:42 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The one thing I suspect is *not* a really serious problem here is the
> reported LTP failure, since probably the only user of this is Samba,
> which probably doesn't do a lot of tmpfs exports, and in any case it can
> probably soldier on (if with degraded performance--how badly I don't
> know) without getting the write lease it wants.

i'm not sure i follow. the reported problem is that file locking does
not work on tmpfs/ramfs storage. a not terribly uncommon scenario is
to use tmpfs on /tmp (or similar location) and have file locking not
work at all. so programs that use file locking or scripts that
leverage the flock utility from the util-linux package break.
-mike