Re: cross-compiling on OS X, make menuconfig fails

From: Tony Breeds
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 21:52:13 EST

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 08:34:46PM -0500, timur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm trying to cross-compile a PowerPC kernel from an Intel OS X system.

<snip>

> However, I do not think that ncurses is the real problem, since I do
> have ncurses installed. I think the real problem is that the
> check-lxdialog.sh is trying to execute this code:
>
> echo -e ' #include CURSES_LOC \n main() {}' | gcc
> '-DCURSES_LOC=<ncurses.h>' -DLOCALE -DKBUILD_NO_NLS -lncurses -xc - -o
> .lxdialog.tmp
>
> And the compiler is failing with this output:
>
> <stdin>:1: error: syntax error before â-â token
> <stdin>:1: error: stray â#â in program

On most linux systems echo supports c-syle escapes with "-e". I'm
guessing which ever echo you're getting dosesn't do that.

I think the best fix is to ensure you're getting bash as your shell.

A nasty hack would be to make check-lxdialog.sh do something like:
(echo ' #include CURSES_LOC';echo 'main() {}') | gcc '-DCURSES_LOC=<ncurses.h>' -DLOCALE -DKBUILD_NO_NLS -lncurses -xc - -o .lxdialog.tmp

But you'll likley find other palces it breaks.

Yours Tony

linux.conf.au http://www.marchsouth.org/
Jan 19 - 24 2009 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!