cross-compiling on OS X, make menuconfig fails

From: timur
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 21:35:46 EST

I'm trying to cross-compile a PowerPC kernel from an Intel OS X system. I've almost got it working, except "make menuconfig" dies. It says I'm missing ncurses:

*** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
*** required header files.
*** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.

However, I do not think that ncurses is the real problem, since I do have ncurses installed. I think the real problem is that the check-lxdialog.sh is trying to execute this code:

echo -e ' #include CURSES_LOC \n main() {}' | gcc '-DCURSES_LOC=<ncurses.h>' -DLOCALE -DKBUILD_NO_NLS -lncurses -xc - -o .lxdialog.tmp

And the compiler is failing with this output:

<stdin>:1: error: syntax error before ‘-’ token
<stdin>:1: error: stray ‘#’ in program

So something strange is going on. Has anyone been able to cross-compile from an Intel Mac running OS X?