Re: ld: <...> internal error, aborting at arange-set.c line 202 inarange_set_new

From: Patrick J. Volkerding
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 19:47:28 EST

Jesper Juhl wrote:
Hi,

For your information;
I just test build Linus' tip of the kernel tree (HEAD at 064922a805ec7aadfafdd27aa6b4908d737c3c1d) on a up-to-date Slackware-current distro and hit this problem:

GEN .version
CHK include/linux/compile.h
UPD include/linux/compile.h
CC init/version.o
LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1
ld: size of bfd_vma > size of splay_tree types
ld: BFD (Linux/GNU Binutils) 2.18.50.0.4.20080208 internal error, aborting at arange-set.c line 202 in arange_set_new

ld: Please report this bug.

Hello all,

Slackware-current does not use binutils 2.18.50.0.4.20080208, but rather binutils-2.17.50.0.17. We've run into a few unusual issues with newer binutils versions, so we tend to be rather cautious about having that package on the bleeding edge.

I'd be curious if using the binutils-2.17.50.0.17 package from slackware-current would avoid this problem, but also wanted to let people know that the system in question had a critical part of the toolchain replaced with something that didn't come from our set of packages.

Best regards,

Pat