Re: [git pull] "big box" x86 changes, bootmem/sparsemem

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 18:48:33 EST

Hi Ingo,

Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> writes:

> * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> IOW, they'd be big enough that people hopefully don't start nitpicking
>> about some *totally* uninteresting small detail, but small enough that
>> people can read it through without losing concentration about a
>> quarter of the way in.
>
> ok. Here's the "memory management" type of changes:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/x86/linux-2.6-x86-bigbox-bootmem.git for-linus
>
> the other sub-trees will depend on these changes. I think these
> infrastructure and other improvements are mergable and pullable as-is.
>
> Ingo
>
> ------------------>

[...]

> mm: allow reserve_bootmem() cross nodes

I find it sad that this goes in now. I wrote a clean version of
reserve_bootmem() [1] and it was rejected with arguments that I did not
understand [2] and that were not further explained even though I asked
for it [3].

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/76
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/234
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/4/16/250

Your comment was rather unfair, because it gave the impression you did
not read the thread before replying. And you did not react to other
explicit questions from me. If you find my patches to be crap, say so
and please explain WHY so I have a chance to improve.

Please, reconsider the bootmem patches; bootmem code looks really bad at
the moment.

Hannes