Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying

From: Oliver Pinter
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 12:40:26 EST

On 4/9/08, Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:01:26 +0200 (CEST)
> > Von: Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx>
> > An: Dave Airlie <airlied@xxxxxxxxx>
> > CC: Gerhard Pircher <gerhard_pircher@xxxxxxx>,
> linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Betreff: Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying
>
> > On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > Hm, so looks like I'm not seeing some ghosts on mine either. 2.6.25-rc8
> > xorg runs under etch, but enters a tight (no syscalls) loop woth 100% CPU
> > load under lenny. A 2.6.24 based kernel works under both etch and
> > lenny...
> Strange! I guess I should recompile the kernel and test again. :(
> I also experienced a high load under Lenny, but IIRC this showed up under
> an older kernel (2.6.18), too (after X server is started, standard
> installation, no additional packages).

i have too this problem, the Xserver is dieing, but undependent from
kernel version, i think it is a xserver problem

Package: xserver-xorg-video-ati
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 880
<>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1:6.6.3-2

under etch and 2.6.22.22 and 2.6.24.y kernel is ok
under lenny and 2.6.22.22 or 2.6.24.y or 2.6.25, in first start the
xserver crashed

> > Haven't had time to try to localize the problem. Glint xorg driver, DRM
> > and AGP are off, CONFIG_FB_PM2=y.
> The X server only dies on my machine, if DRM is on. I read somewhere that
> the lastest DRM patches need a newer Xorg version (~7.3). Could that be
> the problem with kernel 2.6.25-rc8?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gerhard
> --
> Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört?
> Der kann`s mit allen: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger
> --

Thanks,
Oliver