Re: [2.6.25-rc6] possible regression: X server dying

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Thu Apr 24 2008 - 12:03:34 EST

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

> Hm, so looks like I'm not seeing some ghosts on mine either. 2.6.25-rc8
> xorg runs under etch, but enters a tight (no syscalls) loop woth 100% CPU
> load under lenny. A 2.6.24 based kernel works under both etch and lenny...
> Haven't had time to try to localize the problem. Glint xorg driver, DRM
> and AGP are off, CONFIG_FB_PM2=y.

Ok, here's more info. It DOES seem to be a regression. I spent half a day
yesterday trying to trace this down, with no success. Multiple bisect
attempts ended up with non-bootable kernels on the very first iteration.
Today I just wanted to post all possible logs / configs to Bugzilla and -
it "suddenly" worked... And the change that made it work was - I disabled
CONFIG_FB_PM2 in the kernel...

So, I think, this shall be qualified as a regression, although, I have no
idea where. pm2fb.c itself hasn't (effectively for little endian) changed
since 2.6.24. To make it visual

etch lenny

v2.6.24 works works
v2.6.25 works fails

/me thinks he should trade his ap400 to the Linux Kernel Testers Inc. for
LOTS of money.

Thanks
Guennadi
---