Re: strange behavior on multimedia eject button for cdrom

From: Mike Keehan
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 15:15:22 EST

Harald Dunkel wrote:
Hi Mike,

Mike Keehan wrote:
Hi Harold.

Somewhere on the web I read that some of the M1330 media keys are directly connected to the drive, hence the lack of keycodes.

If you eject a disk while it is being played, then the Linux driver will get a read failure. What happens then may not be well defined :)

Maybe there is some misunderstanding here: I am not playing music
from the CD. It is idle. But if I press the CD eject button, then
audio output (e.g. some mp3 file played from harddisk) gets
corrupted, the network connection is dead, etc.

Ejecting the CD takes about 7 seconds. Durig this time Linux is
dead! I haven't checked any SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR applications,
but AFAIK this shouldn't happen.

If I run "eject cdrom" on the console instead, then there is no
such problem.

Regards

Harri

Hi again.

Ok, I just tried doing the same thing on my M1330. It behaves differently to yours in that a small section of music repeats again and again until the disk is ejected, and then carries on (I was using RealPlayer with a local file as a simple test).

And it does look like other things stop working while the disk is ejected - screen updates freeze and network too I think.

I'm going to be travelling for the next few days, so I won't be able to try anything else till later in the week.

Regards,

Mike.