Re: 2.6.25-rc2 System no longer powers off after suspend-to-disk.Screen becomes green.

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 23:38:56 EST

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 12:17:06PM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Greg KH wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:40:06AM +1100, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
>>> Hi.

>>> Putting drivers and filesystems in userspace is the fundamentally broken
>>> concept. Not just when it comes to the freezer. The whole idea is
>>> inherently racy.
>> Racy with regards to other things becides trying to suspend a machine?
>> If so, what?
>
> That depends on what sort of tangled web you want to weave.

Lots of them :)

We have tanks running Linux using userspace USB drivers for vision
control systems (scary, I know...) They seem to be successfully running
for many years now, and I'm interested in making sure those kinds of
things keep working.

We also have laser welding robots with userspace PCI drivers in car
manufacturing plants. And other laser cutting robots slicing wood in
patterns moving at a rate of over 3 meters a second. Again, with
userspace drivers and Linux.

Those users would also love to know of any potential problems you know
of for this situation.

> Low memory situations is one other situation that occurs to me
> quickly, especially (though not only) if your ability to swap were to
> depend upon a userspace driver and/or filesystem.

Sure, swap over a userspace filesystem or driver isn't a sane idea. And
neither is swaping over NFS over a PPP connection attached to a USB to
serial device. Yes, it's possible, and all in the kernel, but not a
wise decision.

Other than foolish configurations, if you come up with other issues
surrounding userspace drivers that could cause problems, please let me
know.

thanks,

greg k-h