Re: [rtc-linux] Re: state of GEN_RTC vs rtc subsystem

From: Alessandro Zummo
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 19:17:50 EST

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:37:28 -0500
woodys <woodys@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On ARM genrtc has been arbitrary disabled in Kconfig circa 2.6.19 and
> the change to rtc_cmos it is not 100% transparent (ARM Netwinder, Debian).
> If I want to use a current (Etch) hwclock binary - I need genrtc with
> /dev/rtc at 10,135, however new rtc_cmos creates /dev/rtc0 at 254,0.
> As a result on new kernels hwclock claims that it is not able to access
> hardware.
>
> However upgrading the util-linux package will (sometime in the
> "unstable" future) solve it, so it is not completely broken... Still, at
> the moment - genrtc seems to be a better solution...

Strange that it has been disabled, I used to keep an eye to avoid touching
anything outside of drivers/rtc .

the rtc subsystem creates the device dynamically, you shouldn't count
on having 254,0. I would eventually ack a patch that adds
/dev/rtc at 10,135 as an alias for /dev/rtc0.

however the best solution would be to upgrade hwclock.

--

Best regards,

Alessandro Zummo,
Tower Technologies - Torino, Italy