Re: [rtc-linux] state of GEN_RTC vs rtc subsystem

From: woodys
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 15:59:15 EST

Alessandro Zummo wrote:
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:11:23 -0600
Kumar Gala <galak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is the functionality provided by drivers/char/gen_rtc.c completely handled by the rtc subsystem in drivers/rtc?

I ask for two reasons:
1. should we make it mutually exclusive in Kconfig
2. I've enabled both and get (we'll my defconfig did):

They shouldn't be enabled at once. I think a patch for Kconfig has been recently submitted to give a warning
in such a case.

rtc-cmos should be able to handle the vast majority of x86
rtcs out there.

The only real open issue is related to the ntp synchronization
mode and will be solved only when we can get rid of it :)

On ARM genrtc has been arbitrary disabled in Kconfig circa 2.6.19 and the change to rtc_cmos it is not 100% transparent (ARM Netwinder, Debian).
If I want to use a current (Etch) hwclock binary - I need genrtc with /dev/rtc at 10,135, however new rtc_cmos creates /dev/rtc0 at 254,0.
As a result on new kernels hwclock claims that it is not able to access hardware.

However upgrading the util-linux package will (sometime in the "unstable" future) solve it, so it is not completely broken... Still, at the moment - genrtc seems to be a better solution...

Just my $.02...

Woody Suwalski