Re: 2.6.25-rc1 xen pvops regression

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 17:00:49 EST

Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 23:43 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Ian Campbell wrote:
On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 02:40 -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:49:21PM +0000, Ian Campbell wrote:
x86/xen: Do not scan for DMI unless the DMI region is reserved by e820.
This fixed it. I'm now booting successfully. Thank you!
Excellent. Jeremy, are you happy for this to go in?

I had no problem with it, but Peter's objection seems substantial enough.

As far as the actual change goes I was assuming that any machine that
has DMI/SMBIOS would easily be new enough to have an E820 which could be
expected to reserve this region. Looks like I was mistaken about how
long E820 had been around and/or how reliably it is used to reserve the
tables.

Anyway, will have to think of another solution.

Well, the way we've handled this kind of thing elsewhere is to just reserve that pseudophys address space in earlish Xen init code and fill it with not-DMI things (zero, I guess). It's a bit of a waste of memory, but maybe we can recover it once DMI has given up and gone away. This also makes it easy to insert faked-up DMI info if that turns out to be useful.