Re: [patch] suspend/resume self-test

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 05:16:29 EST

* David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > nowhere did i suggest that it should be default-enabled ...
>
> The patch you asked to be merged *DID* have it be default-enabled! So
> you did more than just "suggest"... if that option is enabled in
> Kconfig, this test is always forced on and it will cause failures on
> systems where STR has never worked.

i think you dont understand what "default enabled" means in this
context. Default enabled means the Kconfig entry has a "default y" line
- which it did not have in the patch i sent.

if a tester enables the .config option then it is very much expected to
be triggered, just like the other .config debug options. Of course, the
tester specifically enabled it, so that's what we want to happen. Not
some other "yes_i_really_meant_it" boot option ... There can also be
_another_ .config option that turns off the 'run by default' property -
but if someone selects the _default off_ feature and enables it, just
like i did, then the feature is very much expected to run.

you really seem to have deep misunderstandings about how testers use
Linux, what it takes to build up a proper debug infrastructure and how
to utilize all these things to make Linux better. You come from the
embedded world where everything is configured together specifically,
where people know what they are using and were every feature is well
accounted for. But you seem to have little insight into how
distributions utilize kernel features and what it takes to accept the
help of testers who dont know the field that well but still want to help
out - as long as we let them.

These are well-established practices we use in all other debug features
that help Linux today, and what you are asking for is weird, unusual and
wrong. Please take a look at how all the other debug stuff works. Rule
#1: testers dont have to beg the kernel for 1 hour and have to write 2
patches to let the test code be run finally ... ;-) This isnt even about
any nuances where reasonable people might disagree, this is really basic
testing-101 stuff.

Ingo