Re: Unable to continue testing of 2.6.25

From: Frans Pop
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 17:49:46 EST

On Tuesday 19 February 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> The "or any other emulator" is exactly where my question is directed at.
>
> Xen, KVM or even qemu come into my mind, but considering how loudly you
> complained about a temporary breakage for VirtualBox there must be a
> reason why your work on the Debian Installer can only be done
> effectively and efficiently with an emulator module that has AFAIK not
> been submitted for inclusion in the kernel.

- Xen is currently not supported by the kernel Debian Installer uses (though
work is being done to change that.
- KVM AFAIK requires hardware support that I don't have.
- QEMU is completely useless because of its slow speed without the (also out
of tree) kqemu module, which does not work when the host system is x86_64
[1]. Also, I very much prefer the VirtualBox user interface over what qemu
has to offer.
- I've actually used VMWare for a long time (licenced), but stopped after
the 5 series stopped working with current kernels and around that time
VirtualBox became available as an alternative.

Hope that explains.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/444160