Re: Unable to continue testing of 2.6.25

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 17:20:05 EST

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:55:01PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 17 February 2008, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > The real problem is that the kernel seems to lack functionality you
> > require for doing some work.
>
> Not sure how you reached that conclusion.
>
> > Why does your work on the Debian Installer depend on VirtualBox and
> > can't be done with what the kernel already ships?
>
> Work on the installer does not so much hard depend on VirtualBox (or any
> other emulator), but can be done much more effectively and efficiently
> using one.

The "or any other emulator" is exactly where my question is directed at.

Xen, KVM or even qemu come into my mind, but considering how loudly you
complained about a temporary breakage for VirtualBox there must be a
reason why your work on the Debian Installer can only be done
effectively and efficiently with an emulator module that has AFAIK not
been submitted for inclusion in the kernel.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed