Re: Linux 2.6.25-rc2

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 05:27:35 EST

* Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mathieu, Christoph is on vacation and I'm not at all that familiar
> with this cmpxchg_local() optimization, so if you could take a peek at
> this bug report to see if you can spot something obviously wrong with
> it, I would much appreciate that.

hm, it's bad for at least one other reason as well (which is probably
unrelated to this crash):

/*
* Currently fastpath is not supported if preemption is enabled.
*/
#if defined(CONFIG_FAST_CMPXCHG_LOCAL) && !defined(CONFIG_PREEMPT)
#define SLUB_FASTPATH
#endif

such !PREEMPT exceptions tend to show "i didnt want to think too hard
about the preemptible case so just turn it off" thinking.

Also, why isnt this "SLUB_FASTPATH" flag done in the Kconfig space?

Ingo