Re: [2.6 patch] fs/jbd/journal.c: cleanups

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 08:12:55 EST

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:49:36AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 08:12:29AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > > Nack. I don't object to un-exporting journal_update_superblock(),
> > > because that is pretty internal, but the other functions are intended
> > > specifically for use by code outside of JBD. For example, the journal
> > > checksum patch for ext3/4 uses journal_set_features() to turn on
> > > features in the JBD superblock.
> > >
> > > Similarly, for 64-bit support in ext4 uses journal_set_features() to
> > > set a 64-bit feature flag in the journal superblock.
> >
> > that's an invalid excuse for the benefit of out-of-tree forks: reality
> > is that you can export those functions in the "journal checksum patch"
> > just fine. So you cannot 'nack' a sensible patch on that ground and no
> > maintainer does it on that ground. Once you get your stuff upstream, you
> > can re-add the export.
>
> I'm going to NACK it as well. This kind of code churn where we make
> symbols static only to make them non-static again in an existing ext4
> tree is exactly the sort of needless code churn that makes patches
> start to conflict and where we need different patches depending on
> whether it is intended for -mm or linux-next or mainline.
>
> I think we really have gotten WAY to doctrinaire on the if there are
> no in-tree users, it MUST be static. This is exactly the sort of
> mindless rules that cause the patch conflicts that have been causing
> us so much pain and grief. In this case, it is an existing symbol
> which is already non-static, and for which we have code in a
> development tree that will be using it. In the r/o bind case, it is
> the insistence that you can't push an existing patch to expose a new
> interface that must be used later in the r/o bind patchset and which
> sweeps across all trees changing stuff that causes pain and grief.
>
> In both cases, if we expand "in-tree" development users to include
> known development trees that are intended for mainline, it makes all
> of our lives MUCH easier.

The following was meant 100% seriously:

This patch has been sent on:
- 16 May 2006
- 1 May 2006
- 23 Apr 2006

If me resending this old patch collides with something finally getting a
user this part of my patch shouldn't be applied now (but you might get
it again in 6 months if it's still unused...).

But generally such conflicts would become visible if "known development
trees that are intended for mainline" were in -mm.

> - Ted

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.