Re: [0/6] kgdb light

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 16:34:50 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I promote the "select HAVE_*" style on all new stuff and expect that a
> herd of janitors one day pick it up and convert most of the old-style
> stuff. And if you look around then you will see that for this merge
> window almost all new stuff used "select HAVE_" so we on the right
> track.

yeah, it's not like i'm complaining - you are doing a terrific job with
kbuild and kconfig.

Perhaps instead of outright converting it (which needs thought and real
hard work), how about just running a quick script over all Kconfigs and
marking old-style entries as:

# TODO: this stuff needs to be fixed, see Documentation/blah.txt

? Should be 15 minutes of awk and can be committed right after -rc1.
Annoying messages like that tend to get the attention of architecture
maintainers :-) The Kconfig rules are not always obvious so people need
help.

Ingo