Re: [JANITOR PROPOSAL] Switch ioctl functions to ->unlocked_ioctl

From: Daniel Phillips
Date: Thu Jan 10 2008 - 17:56:18 EST

On Thursday 10 January 2008 03:39, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 01:49:15AM -0800, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > So what stops you from changing to unlocked_ioctl for the main
> > device mapper ctl_ioctl?
>
> Nothing - patches to do this are queued for 2.6.25:

Nice. This removes a deadlock we hit, where if creating a device mapper
target blocks indefinitely (say on network IO) then nobody else can
complete a device mapper operation because BKL is held. If completing
the device create depends on some other device mapper operation, then
it is game over.

Our current workaround is to test for and drop BKL, ugh. Thanks for the
cleanup.

Regards,

Daniel