Re: sys_chroot+sys_fchdir Fix

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 20:01:28 EST

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:05:33AM +0930, David Newall wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>> You are claiming "They went so far as to say that dot-dot wouldn't let you
>> out"?
>>

> I phrased it in a somewhat conversational way. The promise, which I've now
> quoted from multiple sources, is expressed variously, including:
>> The dot-dot entry in the root directory is interpreted to mean the root
>> directory itself. Thus, dot-dot cannot be used to access files outside the
>> subtree rooted at the root directory.

You claimed:

<-- snip -->

Look, when chroot was being designed, I think they intended that even root
should be unable to get out. They went so far as to say that dot-dot
wouldn't let you out; and it doesn't.

<-- snip -->

You were clearly saying that whom you call "they" were the people who
designed chroot. And it was you who was claiming in this statement that
"they" said it.

The OpenBSD manpage you quoted in this thread states chroot() was added
in 4.2BSD, and 4.2BSD was released in 1983.

You should therefore either bring a source where the people who designed
chroot() in 1983 or earlier are stating what you claim they said or
admit that you were talking utter bullshit.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed