State of the Linux USB Subsystem for 2.6.23-rc8

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 17:05:46 EST

Here's a summary of the current state of the Linux USB subsystem, as of
2.6.23-rc8

If the information in here is incorrect, or anyone knows of any
outstanding issues not listed here, please let me know.

List of outstanding regressions from 2.6.22:
- none known.

List of outstanding regressions from older kernel versions:
- none known.

If interested, the list of all currently open USB bugs can be seen at:
http://bugzilla.kernel.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=5089&hide_resolved=1

Yeah, there are way too many there, I've been really slack in trying to
work through them. If anyone wants to help out, feel free :)

Future patches that are currently in my quilt tree (as found at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/gregkh-2.6/
) for the USB subsystem are as follows. All of these will be submitted
for inclusion into 2.6.24, except as noted. The diffstat of these
patches is included at the bottom of this message for those that are
interested.
- usbmon fixups and cleanups and documentation update
- usblp cleanups and tweaks
- sisusb2vga lindenting and other janitorial cleanups
- urb->status reworks in the host controller drivers to make the
removal of that field in the future much easier.
- usb gadget driver cleanups
- new drivers/usb/serial/ch341.c driver
- kobil_sct driver reworking
- ueagle driver updates
- new device ids added
- new unusual devs storage quirks added
- removal of all of the USB_QUIRK_NO_AUTOSUSPEND entries as they
no longer make any sense.
- USB authorization changes which allow userspace to disable a
USB device from being able to be used by the kernel, if it so
desires. This is part of the slow merge of the USB Wireless
work.
- lots of small tweaks and bugfixes and reworks in the
usb-serial drivers due to some tty reworks and auditing.
- the usbserial port is now shown in sysfs for the individual
usb-serial bus devices.a
- lots of rework of the internal apis for the USB host
controllers to make things simpler and easier (hopefully.)
- suspend tweaks and reworks to make USB devices behave better
- other minor fixes in the USB core and drivers.

New USB driver api changes for 2.6.24:
usb_urb_dir_in() and usb_urb_dir_out() have been added to test
the direction of an urb.

Note, there are over 100 patches in the USB queue, so I might have
missed a few things in reviewing them by hand right now. If I failed to
describe your patch that is already in the queue, and you feel it is
important for everyone to know about, please feel free to add to the
above list. I did not purposefully mean to exclude anything, merely try
to summarize things.

thanks,

greg k-h

----------------------------

Diffstat of the current usb-2.6 quilt queue:

Documentation/usb/authorization.txt | 92 +
Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt | 11
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt | 9
drivers/usb/Makefile | 24
drivers/usb/atm/cxacru.c | 43
drivers/usb/atm/speedtch.c | 3
drivers/usb/atm/ueagle-atm.c | 1398 +++++++++++++++++++++++------
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c | 120 +-
drivers/usb/core/config.c | 24
drivers/usb/core/devio.c | 77 -
drivers/usb/core/driver.c | 31
drivers/usb/core/endpoint.c | 1
drivers/usb/core/generic.c | 30
drivers/usb/core/hcd.c | 908 ++++++++++--------
drivers/usb/core/hcd.h | 38
drivers/usb/core/hub.c | 273 ++++-
drivers/usb/core/message.c | 52 -
drivers/usb/core/quirks.c | 81 -
drivers/usb/core/sysfs.c | 39
drivers/usb/core/urb.c | 114 +-
drivers/usb/core/usb.c | 40
drivers/usb/core/usb.h | 7
drivers/usb/gadget/amd5536udc.c | 7
drivers/usb/gadget/dummy_hcd.c | 97 --
drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c | 147 +--
drivers/usb/gadget/file_storage.c | 249 ++---
drivers/usb/gadget/fsl_usb2_udc.c | 9
drivers/usb/gadget/gmidi.c | 80 -
drivers/usb/gadget/inode.c | 44
drivers/usb/gadget/omap_udc.c | 10
drivers/usb/gadget/serial.c | 166 +--
drivers/usb/gadget/zero.c | 239 ++--
drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.c | 14
drivers/usb/host/ehci-pci.c | 5
drivers/usb/host/ehci-ps3.c | 2
drivers/usb/host/ehci-q.c | 115 +-
drivers/usb/host/ehci-sched.c | 47
drivers/usb/host/isp116x-hcd.c | 65 -
drivers/usb/host/ohci-dbg.c | 8
drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.c | 213 +++-
drivers/usb/host/ohci-mem.c | 1
drivers/usb/host/ohci-pci.c | 22
drivers/usb/host/ohci-q.c | 195 +---
drivers/usb/host/ohci.h | 26
drivers/usb/host/r8a66597-hcd.c | 177 +--
drivers/usb/host/sl811-hcd.c | 90 -
drivers/usb/host/u132-hcd.c | 370 ++++---
drivers/usb/host/uhci-debug.c | 4
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.h | 16
drivers/usb/host/uhci-q.c | 72 -
drivers/usb/misc/Kconfig | 9
drivers/usb/misc/Makefile | 1
drivers/usb/misc/adutux.c | 3
drivers/usb/misc/berry_charge.c | 7
drivers/usb/misc/ftdi-elan.c | 8
drivers/usb/misc/gotemp.c | 292 ++++++
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb.c | 198 ----
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb.h | 130 +-
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb_con.c | 60 -
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb_init.c | 354 ++-----
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb_init.h | 1363 ++++++++++++++--------------
drivers/usb/misc/sisusbvga/sisusb_struct.h | 164 +--
drivers/usb/mon/mon_bin.c | 102 +-
drivers/usb/mon/mon_main.c | 31
drivers/usb/mon/mon_text.c | 80 -
drivers/usb/mon/usb_mon.h | 2
drivers/usb/serial/Kconfig | 10
drivers/usb/serial/Makefile | 1
drivers/usb/serial/ark3116.c | 5
drivers/usb/serial/bus.c | 16
drivers/usb/serial/ch341.c | 362 +++++++
drivers/usb/serial/cp2101.c | 3
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c | 5
drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.c | 2
drivers/usb/serial/kl5kusb105.c | 28
drivers/usb/serial/kobil_sct.c | 146 +--
drivers/usb/serial/mct_u232.c | 28
drivers/usb/serial/oti6858.c | 2
drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.c | 1
drivers/usb/serial/pl2303.h | 1