Re: 2.6.23-rc8-mm1 -- powerpc link failure

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 11:27:21 EST

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> As suggested elsewhere I have had a go at tracking this down. Previous
> problems of this kind were introduced as a result of using 'weak'
> declarations to provide default implementations. This investigation led
> me to the following commit:
> commit c60473b5d32ea6cf4561232bc852bacd3a513528
> Author: Jiri Kosina <jkosina@xxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat Sep 15 01:49:49 2007 +0000
> i386-and-x86_64-randomize-brk
> Backing this change out seems to get us past this problem. If we are to
> support compilers of this age, and I believe we currently do, then we
> probabally need to avoid the weak declarations and use the Kconfig
> system to provide the alternatives here.
> Jiri?

Hi,

actually, my first patch wasn't using weak symbols, but I have been
convinced that it's the way to go(tm). Please see
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/1/131 and the ongoing thread.

I am fine with replacing the brk randomization patch with the one that
wasn't using weak symbols (posted in the mentioned thread too), I have no
strong opinion either way.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina