Re: [git] CFS-devel, latest code

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 05:47:31 EST

* Mike Galbraith <efault@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 11:13 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > > [...] Latencies of up to 336ms hit me during the recompile (make -j3),
> > > with nothing else running. Since reboot, latencies are, so far, very
> > > very nice. [...]
> >
> > 'very very nice' == 'best ever' ? :-)
>
> Yes. Very VERY nice feel.

cool :-)

Maybe there's more to come: if we can get CONFIG_FAIR_USER_SCHED to work
properly then your Xorg will have a load-independent 50% of CPU time all
to itself. (Group scheduling is quite impressive already: i can log in
as root without feeling _any_ effect from a perpetual 'hackbench 100'
running as uid mingo. Fork bombs no more.) Will the Amarok gforce plugin
like that CPU time splitup? (or is most of the gforce overhead under
your user uid?)

it could also work out negatively, _sometimes_ X does not like being too
high prio. (weird as that might be.) So we'll see.

Ingo