Re: do_coredump and O_NOFOLLOW

From: Bernd Eckenfels
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 03:42:25 EST

In article <46C290F6.2090309@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> I found that O_NOFOLLOW is used for opened core file in Linux 2.6.10.

I think that is for security reasons, otherwise one has to (atomically)
check who is the owner of the symlink and where it points to. If you dont
have hostile users on your system you might be able to remove it, but it is
not a good idea in the general public.

Maybe we need a coreadm tool like Solaris has, where you can put the
corefiles where you want. That would change the corepattern to include a
path and be specific to a process (tree).

Gruss
Bernd