Re: ACPI on Averatec 2370

From: Joachim Deguara
Date: Wed Aug 08 2007 - 10:42:35 EST

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 02:06:31 Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > And yeah, that claims that C1E is not on, but:
> >
> > So it seems my initial debugging report was, err, incomplete. I failed to
> > notice that the amd_apic_timer_broken function was getting called twice,
> > once for each core.
> >
> > The second call shows this:
> >
> > MSR_K8_ENABLE_C1E == 0x14c14015
>
> Ah interesting. Ok finally that all starts making sense.
>
> Not sure why the MSR varies between cores though.

This is a BIOS bug as the BIOS should have programmed the MSR the same for
both cores. See section 10.2.4 of the Rev F BKDG [1] (10.2.4.1 talks about
the SMI case but a newer version of the doc not yet release has similar
wording about both cores needing to have the bit set for the chipset case).

-Joachim

[1]
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/32559.pdf