Re: Instead of GPL License - Why not LKL? (Linux Kernel License)

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Fri Jun 15 2007 - 13:28:36 EST

--- Kevin Bowling <lkml@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, the OP is suggesting that the
> name simply be
> changed from GPL to LKL to avoid confusion of GPL2
> vs GPL3. Same
> verbiage, different name. If these FSF loonies keep
> cutting into our
> corner of pragmatism, I am inclined to agree :-).

Yes - that is exactly what I'm suggesting. If the
agreement is the same but the name of the agreement
changes I don't think you would have that much of a
transition. GPL2=LKL. But the confusion created by FSF
would go away.

If Linux is staying with GPL2 then this would signal
to the world that there's a fork and that Linux is
going in a different direction.