Re: limits on raid

From: david
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 23:44:21 EST

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Neil Brown wrote:

On Thursday June 14, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
what is the limit for the number of devices that can be in a single array?

I'm trying to build a 45x750G array and want to experiment with the
different configurations. I'm trying to start with raid6, but mdadm is
complaining about an invalid number of drives

David Lang

"man mdadm" search for "limits". (forgive typos).

thanks.

why does it still default to the old format after so many new versions? (by the way, the documetnation said 28 devices, but I couldn't get it to accept more then 27)

it's now churning away 'rebuilding' the brand new array.

a few questions/thoughts.

why does it need to do a rebuild when makeing a new array? couldn't it just zero all the drives instead? (or better still just record most of the space as 'unused' and initialize it as it starts useing it?)

while I consider zfs to be ~80% hype, one advantage it could have (but I don't know if it has) is that since the filesystem an raid are integrated into one layer they can optimize the case where files are being written onto unallocated space and instead of reading blocks from disk to calculate the parity they could just put zeros in the unallocated space, potentially speeding up the system by reducing the amount of disk I/O.

.this wouldn't work if the filesystem is crowded, but a lot of large arrays are used for storing large files (i.e. sequential writes of large amounts of data) and it would seem that this could be a substantial win in these cases.

is there any way that linux would be able to do this sort of thing? or is it impossible due to the layering preventing the nessasary knowledge from being in the right place?

David Lang