From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 19:36:25 EST

> This is the main reason I dislike GPLwhatever: there is no notion
> of "orginal author". You might have written 99% of the code, that

Every literary work (including thus software) has an author, and that
author has certain rights which are implicit in them being author.

> doesn't matter. You have no rights whatsoever once you release
> something under the GPL (no more than ANYOne else).

Wrong. The author has a collection of rights which vary by jurisdiction
but which are primarily governed by the Berne Convention and its sequels
notably TRIPS.

> The GPL is nice for the community, and for the users - but very,
> very bad towards it's authors (taking all and every right you might
> have). If John Doe wants to re-release the whole kernel under

You must be using a different GPL to the rest of us.

> GPLv3, then all he needs is a website and some bandwidth.

And a very good lawyer (oh and a GPL3 as there isn't one yet...)

Alan