From: Dave Neuer
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 17:33:45 EST

On 6/14/07, Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/14/07, Dave Neuer <mr.fred.smoothie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 6/14/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Nothing prevents you from taking tivos kernel
> > changes and building your own hardware to run that code on, and as such
> > the spirit of the GPL v2 seems fulfilled.
>
> Oh, come on: you're not serious, right? Something indeed prevents me
> -- the fact that I'm not a hardware manufacturer, I don't have fabs,
> outsource vendors to provide me w/ designs, ASICs, etc. Nor to I have
> the money to pay one-off prices for various components if they're even
> available in batches that small.

So your objection here is that one needs additional resources to do
excersise their rights. Well, what about spending time and money to
get education to be able to do programming work?

Come on, again w/ the bullshit. TiVO does not try to prevent me from
getting a CS degree, or buying a C reference. They _do_ prevent me
from running modified code on my TiVO box.

Being able to
understand C and hardware, etc is also an additional restriction
imposed on an average person.

Not imposed by TiVO.

Do you advocate that every copy of GPL
program should be accompanied with an engineer who would explain how
it all works?

No, just that hardware vendors not lock me out of _my_ hardware if
they've benefitted from code which was intended to be modifiable by
end users.

Dave