From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 17:25:31 EST

On 6/14/07, Dave Neuer <mr.fred.smoothie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/14/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nothing prevents you from taking tivos kernel
> changes and building your own hardware to run that code on, and as such
> the spirit of the GPL v2 seems fulfilled.

Oh, come on: you're not serious, right? Something indeed prevents me
-- the fact that I'm not a hardware manufacturer, I don't have fabs,
outsource vendors to provide me w/ designs, ASICs, etc. Nor to I have
the money to pay one-off prices for various components if they're even
available in batches that small.

So your objection here is that one needs additional resources to do
excersise their rights. Well, what about spending time and money to
get education to be able to do programming work? Being able to
understand C and hardware, etc is also an additional restriction
imposed on an average person. Do you advocate that every copy of GPL
program should be accompanied with an engineer who would explain how
it all works?

--
Dmitry