From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 17:01:58 EST

On Jun 14, 2007, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tivo *respected* the freedoms, and gave source back, and gave you all the
> same rights you had to Linux originally, and to their modifications.

> How stupid are you to not acknowledge that?

> Tivo limited their *hardware*, not the software.

Have you ever wondered *why* it limited the hardware?

Is it per chance such that I cannot modify the software that runs on
the hardware?

How is that respecting the freedoms? How is this not imposing further
restrictions?

And, more importantly, how is it that permitting this makes for
*better* compliance with your tit-for-tat conceptions about the GPL?

I.e., if Tivoization is the only issue that you think makes GPLv3 a
worse license than GPLv2, and you like GPLv2 because of this
tit-for-tat, surely you should be able to explain why Tivoization
promotes this tit-for-tat notion better than GPLv3, right?

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/