Re: ext2 on flash memory

From: Jan Knutar
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 15:45:53 EST

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 16:48, DervishD wrote:
> But anyway the memory should last long. Even cheap flash memories
> with poor wear leveling (if any at all) usually long last. Given that
> I won't be writing continuously, wear shouldn't be a problem. I'm
> going to use this as a backup copy of my home. Of course, I can use a
> tarball too...

I did a test on my kingston datatraveler recently, I didn't expect it to
survive, but it did. I put reiserfs on it, and copied 394M of data in
200,000 files to it. Reiserfs was sloooow at writing, the device was
probably doing alot of work. ext2 was about 10X faster, but there was
hardly any free space left at all at the end :)

Considering it surived ReiserFS, I suspect it would last ages with ext2,
especially for your backup purposes.