From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Thu Jun 14 2007 - 15:00:28 EST

On 6/14/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jun 14, 2007, "Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/14/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > So if I am a sole author of a program and I chose to distribute it under
>> > GPL
>>
>> then you're not a licensee, you're a licensor, and these terms don't
>> apply to you.

> Heh. When you change a GPLed program and pass your changes you are the
> licensor for the new code. You still have a right and license pieces
> of the code you wrote under different license but you do not pass that
> right to recepient of modified work.

You are the author of the change, and you can license them however you
like.
[... skip...]

Derived work or not, when you combine that change with the program,
then you're bound by the terms of the license, and then you cannot
change the licensing terms of the whole program, so you can't pass
this right on either.

Ok, consider non-derived work. Because I am distributing whole program
I have to do it under GPL. However I still have the right to
distribute just the portion that is written by me under whatevel
license I want but you as a recepient of GPLed whole do not get this
right. IOW I am not passing all the rights _I have_.

--
Dmitry